Recordings of Independent Origin
Unrelated to Bandhub or trumpet transcriptions, I’m a collector of Recordings of Independent Origin (ROIOs). These are musical recordings that have not been officially released. Usually, performances recorded from radio and TV, sometimes planned albums that never saw the light of day, live soundboard recordings made by the sound engineer, and sometimes audience recordings of live shows. Only recordings where copyright is not an issue.
As a member of the music trading community, my collection of recordings is documented at etree.org. If you are interested in trading recordings please get in touch with me. I’m only interested in ROIOs, including soundboard recordings, FM, TV broadcasts and the like. Quality is the key, and nowadays I tend to steer clear of audience recordings unless it is something very special. Please don’t contact me about trading anything that has been officially released and is available for commercial/retail sale. I support musicians and their art by purchasing official releases and do not trade in them.
My special interest is jazz trumpet players, especially any Chuck Mangione shows that are not yet on my list. But I mix it up with some rock artists, as you can see, calling out Midnight Oil and Hunters & Collectors.
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
I’m currently searching for recordings of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, from a sparsely-documented period spanning 1965-66 when the lineup included Chuck Mangione, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea.
I’ve no idea if recordings exist, beyond official releases Buttercorn Lady (also released as Get the Message) and Hold On, I’m Coming. Can you assist in this quest, please?
Known performances noted from the Art Blakey Chronology are:
November 9, 1965: Chuck Mangione-tpt; Frank Mitchell-tsx; Lonnie Liston Smith-p; Reggie Johnson-b
- Five Spot, NYC (November 9, 1965)
- Pep’s Show Bar, Philadelphia, PA
- Five Spot, NYC (November into December 1965)
January 1, 1966: Chuck Mangione-tpt; Frank Mitchell-tsx; Keith Jarrett-p; Reggie Johnson-b
- Lighthouse, Hermosa Beach, CA (January 1-9, 1966)
- Half Note, NYC (February 4-5, 1966) (private recording from February 4)
c. Spring 1966: Chuck Mangione-tpt; Frank Mitchell-tsx; Mike Nock-p; Reggie Johnson-b
- Plugged Nickel, Chicago, IL (March 11-20, 1966)
- Pep’s Show Bar, Philadelphia, PA (March 28-April 2, 1966)
April 1966: Chuck Mangione-tpt; Frank Mitchell-tsx; Lonnie Liston Smith-p; Reggie Johnson-b
- Village Vanguard, NYC (April 26-28, 1966)
Spring 1966: Chuck Mangione-tpt; Frank Mitchell-tsx; Chick Corea-p; Reggie Johnson-b
- Blues Unlimited, Detroit, MI (Spring 1966)
- Half Note, NYC (May 6-7, 1966)
- Half Note, NYC (May 13-14, 1966)
- Five Spot, NYC (3 weeks c. late May 1966)
- Braves Stadium, Atlanta Jazz Festival, Atlanta, GA (May 28, 1966)
- Jazz Society for Performing Artists, Baltimore, MD (May 30, 1966)
- Jazzmobile, 137th St. & Lenox Ave., NYC (July 13, 1966)
- Village Gate, NYC (August 2-14, 1966)
October 1966: Chuck Mangione-tpt; Frank Mitchell-tsx; Chick Corea-p; Juni Booth-b
- Town Tavern, Toronto, Canada (one week October 1966)
- Varty’s, Boston, MA
I would be grateful if anyone can circulate any Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers shows from this period. Please let me know if you can!